I need more followers, people. Help a sister out!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Am I the Only One?

      Mary has been glued to my side for most of her life, with brief dashes over to Daddy. This week has been especially trying - no school plus hot weather equals one cute little girl extending her arms and saying "uppie" all day long.

     Daddy and I did manage to get away for an overnight at a friend's lake house this weekend (thank you, Gaga!), which was a nice break for my sore back and tired arms. As soon as I returned, though, my little shadow clung to me like crazy, and hasn't let go since, unless Yo Gabba Gabba was on. Which it is, in our house. A lot. Way more than that hour per day recommended.

     Even though we've seen lots of family this week, people who Mary loves, she wants only me. When passed to another person, she calmly puts her thumb to her chin and says "Mama," with big eyes and a serious expression. She is not joking around here. And I cave every time, to avoid unpleasantness in the form of a huge tantrum. Maybe I enjoy playing the martyr, or maybe I just want to keep the peace. Typical middle child stuff.

     My husband always tries to take her off my hands, but when we're out of the house, I just take her, to make things easier. Today, at the amusement park, I did hand her off once. I had held her through several cycles in the wave pool, and I just needed to be free for a few minutes. I swam away, she cried, and then she got over it. Out of sight, out of mind.

      Others have told me that when I am not there, Mary is much more willing to engage with them.  Maybe I'm holding her back, or subconsciously enjoying being needed. It is nice to have someone on your life who is always happy to see you, and wants endless hugs and kisses.

     Or maybe I just like the gun show I'm packing, thanks to carrying around a forty pound preschooler.

1 comment:

  1. yep that's tilly and me exactly as well!she is so strongly attached the uk research team played a ton of clips of the 2 of us on big screen during their presentation at the uk sms conferance! people at our table thought the fact i wanted to crawl under the table was so funny!xx

    ReplyDelete