I need more followers, people. Help a sister out!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sing a Song

     So I  have broken the cardinal rule of blogging - one must post frequently. Forgive my absence, dear readers, but I had a deadline to meet, for the writing I do that actually pays something. Mea culpa.

     I am a singer of modest talent. My family is very musical, in a VonTrapp kind of way. When you come to a family party, you can hear "Happy Birthday" in four part harmony, although curiously absent of melody - we compete to come up with the best parts. I'm more of a back-up singer than a front man, even when I'm alone in the car (it's kind of pathetic, that I'm not even a star when I'm rocking out alone, I know). However, I sang lead to my babies. Ben loved to sing with me until he was about 3, and then he moved on to other interests, but Mary is still my number-one fan.

     I am well versed in children's songs, having been a Pre-K teacher, but I  had no idea how useful it would be until I had Mary. Over the years, her favorite songs have changed, but she still likes my voice over anyone else's. Music opens up some kind of pathway to Mary, and she engages at a much higher level that during any other activity. She does not like to speak on demand, but if you stop during "Old McDonald," she will pipe in with the appropriate word, in her throaty little voice. I imagine when she does finally sing on her own, her voice will sound like Stevie Nicks'.

    It is handy to have built-in entertainment for Mary, and it certainly makes my diaper bag lighter, but sometimes even I get tired of hearing my voice. I recall driving to my brother's wedding rehearsal last fall, stuck in Long Island rush hour (yet another reason I am so grateful to live in a less-populated area), and Mary had hit her limit. I sang every song I could think of, from "Itsy Bitsy Spider" to "The Farmer in the Dell." I even threw in a few Christmas numbers and American folk tunes, before I ran out of songs. I just couldn't think of another thing to sing, and boy, did that piss her off. Not a pleasant ride that evening.

    But other than that, singing is my favorite way of communicating with Mary. It's funny how she demands routine in most areas of life, but when it comes to songs, novelties are welcome. Her Papa does a delightful variation of a well-loved children's ditty titled "Necks, Armpits, Butts and Feet" that sends her into gales of laughter, and give my throat a break. She's come to associate certain songs with certain people, and makes that their special thing to do whenever they see each other. My advice for those who know Mary, but can't seem to gain her favor - get a signature song. Mine currently is "Wheels on the Bus," especially the verse where the babies go "Wah wah wah." Mary thinks that's hilarious. Either she has a short memory, or she's sticking it to me, I can't tell.

     My last two postings have been song titles - anyone else want to help me keep it going?

  

1 comment:

  1. All the little fish are swimmin in the water is mine ;)

    ReplyDelete